I have been making this soup since the fall of last year and everybody who eats it raves about how great it taste. So it’s time to share the wealth, so to speak.
The serving size for the recipe I’m going to give is six…so bring your friends and family over for some fabulous soup!
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb mild italian sausage (bulk or with casings removed)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes , with juice
- 1 lb baking potatoes peeled and cut into small dice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 zucchini, cut into small dice
- 1 cup of whipping (35%) cream
- 2 cups of shredded sharp (old) Cheddar cheese tossed with 1 tbsp of flour
- freshly ground pepper to taste
So, now that we got the ingredients out of the way, like Arsenio Hall would say, lets get busy!
1. Get you a large pan and throw all the ingredients in and stir and hope for the best!! 🙂 Ok, so that didn’t work…try this. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Please keep the children away from the stove!! Add the sausage and saute , breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon until it’s no longer pink. This takes about 5 minutes or so.
Then add your minced onions to the pan and saute till they are soft, which they say is 6 minutes, but give or take 30 seconds. You will be able to tell. Can you stand the aroma coming out of that pan now? I’ve made this soup a dozen times now and when that onion and sausage mixture get to going, BAM!
Now you want to add your tomatoes with juice, stock, potatoes and salt. Bring this to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow this to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and allow soup again to simmer for another 10 minutes or till vegetables are tender. It should look something like the pic below. 🙂
The last part of making this fabulous soup is what I call the thickening stage 🙂 Add your cream while continuously stirring with a wooden spoon. Finally add your cheese a half of a cup at a time, again continuing to stir the cheese watching it melt away. Add pepper to taste. Mmmmm. Look at the final product. Enjoy this great soup with family and friends.
Please let me know if you tried this soup and what you thought of it. Happy cooking my friends and family. Next recipe might be a great salmon dish. In the mean time, enjoy this.